S/4HANA is SAP’s next generation ERP system. If you are an SAP ECC customer, you are going to have to migrate to S/4HANA prior to the end of the standard support contract in 2027 (or extended support contract in 2030). SAP S/4HANA covers all source to pay processes from purchase requisitioning, catalog buying, order processing, receiving, invoice processing, contract management and sourcing. The procurement process is further supported by real-time embedded analytics across all spend segments, resulting in vast improvements to performance and visibility.
SAP S/4HANA Solutions
What is SAP S/4HANA?
SAP S/4HANA is a future-ready enterprise resource planning (ERP) system with built-in intelligent technologies, including AI, machine learning, and advanced analytics. It transforms business processes with intelligent automation and runs on SAP HANA – a market-leading in-memory database that offers real-time processing speeds and a dramatically simplified data model.
Choose the Right Transition Path
The Greenfield Approach
This means you start from scratch, creating a procurement landscape that conforms entirely to your needs. The migration is done parallel to your current processes, so there’s no disruption. You also don’t have to have a SAP ECC, you can start with any ERP. Hosting can be done on-premise or in the cloud. This is SAP’s recommended “best practice” approach.
Best option if:
• ECC system is out of date and/or deployed years ago.
• Business model has changed because due to mergers or acquisitions.
• Current system is highly customized.
• Current business processes do not support long-term strategies.
• Value drivers include consolidation and process harmonization.
The Brownfield Approach
With this migration method, you migrate your existing SAP Business Suite to the S/4HANA system, resulting in a true upgrade conversion. It’s faster and easiest than the Greenfield approach, but should only be deployed on-premise. The upside to that is the option for maximum levels of customization.
Best option if:
• ECC is being used in a single stack, Unicode system.
• All historical data needs to be retained.
• The software landscape requires retention of most or all past customizations.
• Gradually adopt the S/4HANA processes.
• Minimize downtime, costs and risks.
The Hybrid Approach
Taking a hybrid approach to migration allows you to consolidate several ERP systems to one SAP S/4HANA central system. Also called a Selective Data Transition, it uses a combination of Greenfield (starting from scratch) and Brownfield (keep some existing solutions). An on-premise deployment of S/4HANA is recommended with this approach.
Best option if:
• You’re combining multiple ERP systems.
• You have some complex changes that you want to make.
• You want to leverage your existing solution and save historical data.
• Many interfaces to other SAP solutions and third-party systems must be maintained.
• You want the maximum customizable option.
Learn more about when you should start planning your S/4HANA migration and which option is best for your company in our S/4HANA blog series.
Why CCP Global?
- CCP Global has been a certified SAP and SAP Ariba Service Partner since 1999.
- Our expert consultants have 10+ years of SAP Ariba experience each, with extensive expertise in remote/hybrid integrations.
- We specialize in assembling small, highly efficient teams to maximize value.
- Unlike most Ariba service partners, CCP Global works to make sure your entire team is ready on Day One to avoid costly, and preventable, delays.